Thursday, April 5, 2007

Hanging at the Gym

So, one of my new year's goals, the one I've been the least successful at (though its unsuccess competes with my writing goal) was to run a few times a week. This goal had a two fold purpose: the more long term purpose of "getting in shape," which is a revatively nebulous goal but includes, though is not limited to, being in better physical shape. Pretty complex, huh? That's the more long term "overarching" goal, with a much more immediate one of being able to walk all over Ireland (since our time there will be mostly spent walking) without chaffing like a mugger fugger and without geting all winded and pouting like a wee school lass.

So today after school I'm going to the rec center to run for a minimum of 45 minutes, but as long as I feel is necessary. I even borrowed 10 bucks from my mom to do it.

In thinking on why this goal has been such a collosal failure for me, I've come to the conclusion that at this juncture I'm too timid to do my running outside and in gyms where the everyday joe and the stereotypical shallow gym butterfly (because that's all that are there, right?) can see me, and of course, ridicule me. Especialy the last two people I mentioned. At least at the rec center, the beautiful people aren't present, at least in their overwhelming numbers, and I can also swim if I want. Something I haven't done in years.

The ironic part is that since I've made activity my goal, my activity dropped from 2-3 times a week to roughly 3 times every 2 weeks, when my goal became five. I used to go to tae kwon do 3 times a week, and I've since stopped. A part of that is the available number of times I can go to tae kwon do, and the available number of chances I have to go since I've been more active in being church.

So, what I'm asking for is accountability. If you see me or talk to me, and if you otherwise give a damn, ask me if I've run or been to "fight club."

Why thank you.

3 comments:

Arthur said...

If you don't want to go to the rec center to build endurance you could just walk to and from work every day.

Anonymous said...

so...have you been running?


see. i DO give a damn.

Anonymous said...

remember there's also a treadmill at fairmount you can use whenever you want, just unplug it when you finish.