Sunday, February 11, 2007

This might get me nailed to a tree, but...

I don't like The Fray, and I'm glad they didn't win best rock album of the year. If that happened, I would have had to have quit being a rocker because whatever they do, rock it ain't. Chili Peppers won, which is alright. It probably was the best of the year, though it's still a bit mild for my tastes (I guess that what happens when you fall in love - makes you all soft and whatnot). Slayer beat out Tool for best metal album, which is weak, because slayer is the generic storebrand weaksauce. Their sauce is so weak, that it doesn't even have a graphic on the label. Just a white can with the black and white words, "weak sauce" painted on it. Every other award I genuinely do not care about. Essentially, as long as Fallout Boy, and their clone denizens, and The Fray don't win.

I sort of feel bad about not liking The Fray, but that's mostly only because they came out of the church I go to and I've met a few of them. But if it were any other band like, say, those delightful (sarcasm) scamps from N*Sync, everyone would be understanding, but given the climate surrounding The Fray, I've always been apprehensive in stating my opinion of their music, but this thing's been eating at me. Perhaps they should create a genre called "wuss rock" and you can stick them and Coldplay (gag) and that one gay Irish band that's everywhere. Snow something I think. Snowpatrol? I think that's them. Aren't they Irish? I can see why they play in America. Ireland probably kicked 'em out for being a bunch of nancy boys.

So that was essentially it. I've heard several times over the past week from different sources about how "The Fray better win the award for best rock album." Nix to that. They don't deserve to rub shoulders with The Red Hot Chili Peppers, and this goes beyond my personal style. This extends to the very music they make. They may make music, but rock it ain't.

It feels kind of good to get that out in the open... until I, inevitably, meet them and when asked why I didn't like their album I respond with, "because it's incredibly wussy (among other things) you girls."

And on a peculiarly related note: apparently they used to be called Fancy Showbox and possessed more of a punk edge. I didn't know that, but I remember going to one of their shows in high school. I stayed home sick. It was more I stayed home lazy, but my parent's permitted it. They made me go to youth group that night, however, as they were having a clash with the youth group leader and didn't want him to think that my absence was due to them. He took us to Faith Christian High School where we watched the band Fancy Showbox play. A kid broke his arm or got a concussion because they were crowd surfing, and the people that were supposed to provide him with the surfing support dropped him. And then something like eight years later they're all super popular. How bizarre is that?

No comments: